Efficient Water Management
“Water Management” – that’s a big term covering a broad range of applications. Think about it - there is water everywhere that needs to be monitored, distributed, dammed, purified, piped, etc. etc., you name it. From rain to rivers and lakes, from irrigation to drinking water to waste water – managing this resource well depends on the availability of reliable data exactly when needed.
When talking about water management in our context, we refer to water resources outside an industrial process, where usually other means of monitoring, such as hard-wired sensors, PLCs and actuators, are deployed. We in turn are talking about aquifers, rivers and lakes, irrigation canals, tubes and pipes, drinking water from spring to tank to consumer, piped water, waste water and, last not least, precipitation, be it liquid or solid. And not to forget lots and lots of equipment all around it, from pumps to valves and meters, that need to be monitored and operated as well.
All of these various applications have several characteristics in common:
- Data needs to be collected from locations not permanently manned,
- With usually no mains power being available,
- With usually no communication cables being available,
- Where equipment is in most cases exposed to the environment,
- With the number of parameters to be monitored ranging from 1 to several dozen,
- With data to be reliably transferred several times per day back to base,
to name just the most important ones. From the above it becomes evident that monitoring devices also need to meet a number of criteria. All components need to
- Be very rugged, meeting IP67 protection standards,
- Be capable of withstanding a wide temperature range and harsh conditions,
- Be able to operate off batteries and solar power, consuming as little power as possible,
- Require as little maintenance as possible to reduce unnecessary site visits and thus maintenance cost,
- Be flexible enough to support this vast number of different requirements,
- Support various means of data transmission in order to serve locations within or outside of cell phone coverage,
- Deploy sensors and loggers that do not drift in time, but maintain their accuracy,
- Have a long service live,
- Collect, visualize and process data autonomously,
- Present the data in a meaningful format to the users,
- Enabling them to act on changing conditions,
- And ideally offer a good price:performance ratio.
Read on, how an ADCON system solution, covering all aspects from site to office, takes perfect care of all of that!
With its versatile range of loggers and a vast array of sensors for all parameters imaginable, ADCON components address all requirements for an outdoor monitoring system as previously mentioned. All ADCON loggers with their integrated communication devices, be that UHF radio or GSM/GPRS/UMTS mobile communication, are extremely rugged, housed in aluminium cases with stainless connectors, and do not only have the smallest footprint in class, but also the lowest power consumption.
To collect data of all sorts ADCON provides a wide range of sensors from a variety of partners that are leading experts in their field. Be that precipitation or water quality, be that level, pressure or temperature, be that flow or precipitation, ADCON provides the right sensors with the requested accuracy within the desired price range.
Here is a list of applications the ADCON systems take perfect care of:
- Large-scale measurement networks for all applications
- Pipeline monitoring: leak and burst detection, pressure and flow monitoring
- Remote meter reading – consumption profiling
- Level monitoring in aquifers and tanks, in rivers and lakes
- Water quality monitoring, with up to 16 parameters simultaneously observed
- Control of irrigation systems, be that in agriculture, mining operations, landfills or others
- Remote operation of equipment, turning pumps, valves, motors on and off
- Building precipitation networks with a large range of technologies for reliable precipitation monitoring, from tipping bucket to weighing, from optics to Radar
- Reliable wireless data transfer via radio or GSM/Cellular
- Compatibility to various industrial SCADA systems (Siemens LSX, WinCC:, Rittmeyer,…)
- Data visualization software with integrated web client
- Data processing, including alarming functions for a vast array of parameters
Ask an ADCON distributor near you or get in touch with us directly!